• TrueBeautyAcademy

Teaching.....what do I need??

Have you thought about stepping into the world of teaching but don't know where to start? These days there's a lot of choice in courses you can do, from university degrees to accredited diplomas. It all depends on what you want to do, who you want to work for and what you want to teach. Let's break it down.....

Firstly, let me just say that if you are thinking of teaching in a vocational field with an awarding body i.e. VTCT or City & Guilds, you need a high level - normally a minimum of Level 3 in your chosen subject, a teaching qualification AND an assessors qualification.

Over the years the names of these courses have changed but the content remains the same. For context, I have a Certificate in Education which I did with Huddersfield University, a Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement and I am a qualified Internal Quality Assurer, also known as an IV.

All educators at True Beauty Academy also hold these qualifications albeit different abbreviations depending on when they did the courses.

I will break down the courses and options depending on what route you wish to go down.

Offering online and in person accredited training courses

You may have seen on social media, accredited insurance companies advertising teaching diplomas. These diplomas are for those who wish to get their training accredited whether it be online or in person and be able to offer courses to potential students. They are not endorsed by an awarding body such as VTCT, City & Guilds, ITEC etc. Diplomas like this do not give you a teaching qualification and if you wanted to work for a company or a training provider in the future who offered full qualifications you would not meet the criteria. Its also worth noting that should you change your accreditation or insurance another insurance company may not take this diploma.

Open your own training academy

A full teaching qualification and assessors award would be required, such as the ones I hold.

Working for a college or training provider

Colleges and private training providers who receive government funding will require a full teaching qualification from an awarding body and assessors qualification.

Working for a product company

This may depend on the company but most places will require full qualifications.

As the teaching world grows and changes so do the teaching qualifications. This is why they all have different names. To help, below is a list of abbreviations and the previous names of courses.

Teaching Qualifications Certificate in Education (Levels range from 3-5)



Education and Training (Levels vary)

Teaching in Lifelong Learning

Assessor Qualifications A1 Award

TAQA - Teaching, Assessing & Quality Assurance

CAVA - Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement

Internal Verifier IQA - Internal Quality Assurer

IV - Internal Verifier

If you already hold any of the above, don't worry there is no requirement to hold one of the newer qualifications, this is what your CPD is for!

I hope this helps! If you still have questions please don't hesitate to email

True Beauty Academy offer VTCT Level 4 Certificate in Education £900 and Level 3 Assessing Vocational Achievement £350. Includes teaching placement. An educator package is also available for both courses £1100.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All